Request Microsoft Campus Agreement
Microsoft Campus Agreement (CA) program is a subscription based licensing program that is designed to make licensing Microsoft software and services far easier and more cost-effective. Instead of counting and licensing computers, schools are licensed on the basis of full time equivalent (FTE) faculty, staff, and student count. Licensed software, and any product upgrades and downgrades are available during their 12-month subscription term.
There are two options when purchasing Microsoft software through VT
- Must purchase a license for each machine that the software will be installed on.
- Purchaser owns the license. If you want to upgrade to the latest version, you must purchase a new license.
- Perpetual license, i.e., the license never expires.
- Licenses are purchased based on FTEs, not machines. This benefits departments that have more machines than people.
- Latest versions are available as they are released to VT by Microsoft; no additional charge for upgrades.
- Licenses are not owned, they are leased. If you decide to no longer participate in CA, you must either purchase new licenses or remove the CA licenses and revert back to your previous version. You still own the licenses for your previous version.
Advantages and disadvantages to Campus Agreement
Departments should carefully consider their options when deciding between Microsoft Education Select and Campus Agreement. What is an advantage for one department may be a disadvantage for another.
- Departments are able to keep up with the latest industry standards. No conversion issues.
- CA is a fixed cost which aids in making budgetary decisions.
- Departmental audits: ITA manages the licenses and supplies information to auditors.
- When a department has more machines than people.
- Students are required to purchase undergraduate software bundles, which contains the latest versions.
- It’s an annual expense. Must, at minimum, maintain your original FTE count.
- Licenses are leased, not owned.
- Must purchase Education Select licenses or revert back to previous version if you decide to no longer participate in CA.
- When a department has more people than machines.
Core CAL Suite and Desktop Bundle (includes OS upgrades and Office)
The Core CAL Suite is equivalent to the following licenses:
- Windows Server CAL
- SharePoint Server Standard CAL
- Exchange Server Standard CAL
- System Center Configuration Manager Client Management License
- System Center Endpoint Protection
- Skype for Business Server Standard CAL
Enterprise CAL Suite and Desktop Bundle (includes OS upgrades and Office)
The Enterprise CAL Suite is equivalent to the following licenses:
- All of the components of the Core CAL Suite (listed above)
- Exchange Server Enterprise CAL with Services
- Exchange Online with Archiving for Exchange Server
- SharePoint Server Enterprise CAL
- Skype for Business Server Enterprise CAL
- Windows Server Active Directory Rights Management Services CAL
- Advanced Threat Analytics
Windows Enterprise and Office Pro Plus (includes OS upgrades and Office)
Office Only (only includes MS Office)
Server products may be added to any enrollment on a per-license basis.
For additional information on Campus Agreement, please contact Software Licensing Administration. Estimates furnished upon request. Please provide all department codes you wish to include in your estimate.