Where can I find the list of current VT software license agreements?
- A list of current VT software license agreements can be found at: https://apps.itpals.vt.edu/cmslink/legal_agreement_log1.pdf.
Where can I find the list of software currently being reviewed?
- This information is included in question 2 on the ServiceNow Software Request Form.
Where can I find a summary of the workflow for software review?
- A summary of the review process can be found by clicking here.
If the software I want to purchase is free, does the license agreement still have to be submitted for review via the ServiceNow Software Request Form?
- Yes, in accordance with University Policy 3015, Contract Signature Policy and Procedures 3.6, IT Procurement reviews, obtains Legal Counsel review, and signs all contracts—whether or not money is involved—for computer hardware, software, testing, and maintenance. IT Procurement maintains the original university document of record for all contracts that are processed through their office.
Can software subscriptions be paid as Direct Payments?
- In accordance with University Policy 3220, Direct Payment Procedures 3.E.5., subscriptions include books, pre-printed materials, reprints, publishers page changes, book subscriptions, book subventions, subscription mailing list (printed or electronic), pre-recorded audio and video cassettes, conference proceedings, slide presentations, tapes, CDs and diskettes, when available only from the publisher or producer. This policy does not apply to software license subscriptions, and such purchases should not be processed via direct pay.
Can you explain the purchasing process and provide guidelines on how to submit a requisition in HokieMart?
- The purchasing process begins with the entry of a requisition into HokieMart at the department level. Please be sure to attach supporting documentation such as the vendor’s quote, license agreement for software requests, sole source form (if applicable), etc. HokieMart’s automated workflow carries the requisition to designated individuals for departmental approval. Following approval, the workflow will encumber funds and will carry the requisition through one of several channels that are appropriate to the dollar value and type of transaction being enacted.
- At the conclusion of the process, the requisition will be converted into a purchase order that will be conveyed to the supplier, and the information related to the purchase will be transmitted from HokieMart into Banner financial records.
- For a more detailed overview of HokieMart please go to https://www.procurement.vt.edu/departments.html.
What accounts should I use for purchasing software?
- Below is the new and revised account information that took effect on July 1, 2017.
Two new account codes were added:
12755 – Cloud Plug-In/Application Services – This includes expenses for cloud computing model in which a third-party provider externally hosts services that provide functional software application services. Some examples include Canvas, EvaluationKit, PeopleAdmin, Piazza, Qualtrics, Tapingo. See account code 15330 for Software Subscriptions – On Site Non-Hosted (stored on VT server).
12756 – Cloud Infrastructure/Platform Services – Include expenses for cloud computing model in which a third-party provider externally hosts services that provide processing, storage, or application development services. Some examples include: Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker. See account code 15330 for Software Subscriptions – On Site Non-Hosted (stored on VT server).
The following account code had changes in the title and description.
15330 – Software Subscriptions – On-Site Non-Hosted – Include expenses for term limited software stored and run from university machines. Examples include Abacus, Ansys, Mathematica, MATLAB, SAS, SPSS. See accounts codes 12755 and 12756 for Cloud Services – Hosted Office (stored on vendor’s server).