Amazon Web Services (AWS) is a collection of remote computing services that make up a cloud computing platform offered over the Internet by Amazon.com. These services are designed to provide a large computing capacity. The most important and well-known of these computing services are Amazon EC2 and Amazon S3. AWS services are accessed over HTTP, using REST and SOAP protocols. All services are billed based on usage.
Amazon EC2 - Virtual Servers in the Cloud
Amazon EC2 Container Registry - Store and Retrieve Docker Images
Amazon EC2 Container Service - Run and Manage Docker Containers
AWS Elastic Beanstalk - Run and Manage Web Apps
AWS Lambda - Run Your Code in Response to Events
Auto Scaling - Automatic Elasticity
Elastic Load Balancing - High Scale Load Balancing
Amazon VPC - Isolated Cloud Resources
AWS Server Migration Service - Migrate On-Premises Servers to AWS
AWS is a secure, durable technology platform with industry-recognized certifications and audits: PCI DSS Level 1, ISO 27001, FISMA Moderate, FedRAMP, HIPAA, and SOC 1 (formerly referred to as SAS 70 and/or SSAE 16) and SOC 2 audit reports.
The Virginia Association of State College and University Purchasing Professionals (VASCUPP) Cooperative Contract
Working within the AWS VASCUPP Cooperative Contract provides the following benefits:
- Service changes by AWS are monitored and reviewed for inclusion into the contract
- Purchasing through the VASCUPP Cooperative Contract reseller, DLT, provides a discount on AWS retail pricing
- Billing services are provided by IT Procurement and Licensing Solutions on a monthly basis
AWS Account Creation Process
AWS requires that each account be associated with a unique e-mail address/login that is not already being used with another Amazon account. IT Procurement and Licensing Solutions has created a bank of e-mail aliases to be used during AWS account creation and initial login by the account manager. The use of e-mail aliases allows the AWS account to be moved between VT e-mail accounts in the event of a change of account manager within a department.
- The department completes the AWS Account Request Form and submits it to IT Procurement and Licensing Solutions.
- Identity Management Customer Service adds an AWS e-mail alias to the designated account manager VT e-mail account and notifies IT Procurement and Licensing Solutions when this step has been completed.
- IT Procurement and Licensing Solutions sends the AWS e-mail alias to the reseller and requests a password reset e-mail be sent to that e-mail address.
- The account manager receives an e-mail from AWS with account information and logon instructions.
- The account manager logs on to the AWS Management Console to access AWS services.
If you need assistance in determining your cloud service requirements, consulting services are offered by Collaborative Computing Solutions.